Tuesday 6 March 2007

First couple of days

I'm slowly getting over the jetlag and am beginning to settle in at the University. I'm doing quite a lot of reading, thinking and talking about higher education and academic development. Currently reading 'Reshaping the University: new relationships between research, scholarship and teaching' (2005) edited by Ron Barnett and 'The Enquiring University' (2006) by Stephen Rowland.

Both have much to provoke thought. In particular, I'm interested in what it means to be an 'academic' academic developer, i.e. what are the activities we should engage in, the values to hold and the skills/knowledge we should have to justify being thought of as 'proper' academics?

My discussions with Tony Harland are proving very fruitful and are helping me to focus in on some ideas around the purposes of higher education, particularly the move to mass HE and the differences between research-intensive universities and those such as SHU.

No comments: